Sunday, January 27, 2008

speaking of unconventional


This is one of my favorite shots from a recent dog shoot; possibly one of my all-time favorite dog shots. There are a dozen reasons why nobody would choose a shot like this, why it doesn't work, but there's really only one that someone would choose it: because they love it. It strikes me very viscerally; for me, it's that elusive essence of my subject that I managed to capture in a split second: the essence of this dog and her lanky discomfort at being photographed.

If I were looking for a cover image for a book about dogs, I might not choose this. But if I were just browsing images and came upon this on, I might write an entire novel around it.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

i completely understand about loving a shot to pieces that you know no one else will get. sometimes that makes it even more loveworthy.

scruffy dog photography said...

so, um, ya gonna write a novel about it? ;) ...illona